For a list of MMA gyms in Brampton, scroll to the bottom.
What is MMA?
Mixed Martial Arts. Fighting is about more than throwing punches. The most qualified kickboxer in the world is neutralized if a wrestler takes him down and keeps him on his back. Mixed martial artists take a more holistic approach to combat by studying across various martial arts disciplines.
Martial arts can be broken down into two categories of fight styles.
- Striking: Punches, kicks, knees, and elbows. This is your primary offense in a fight. Some notable striking styles include: Boxing, Muay-Thai, Karate, and Tae Kwon Do.
- Grappling: Throws, takedowns, clinches. Grappling styles are less about direct physical damage and more about controlling your opponent’s body and gaining a positional advantage. Grappling styles include: Wrestling, Jujitsu, Judo, Sambo.
Why should I train MMA?
- Self Defense: The safest thing to do is avoid any unnecessary physical combat whenever possible. However, if you find yourself in a situation where you are forced to defend yourself, having the right technique is crucial. Even learning the basics can make all the difference.
- Exercise: Figuring out how to lose weight and get in shape can be overwhelming. If you are looking to get in shape this summer, Martial Arts training could be a viable option. Scientifically, one of the most effective weight loss techniques is high intensity interval training, meaning high intensity bursts of exercise, four minutes or more, followed by a shorter low intensity rest period. Most MMA competition emulates this type of training. While there is nothing wrong with running a mile a day, Martial Arts training is something to consider if you are interested in a more functional approach to fitness.
- Discipline: Perseverance is an intrinsic part of the world of combat sports and martial arts. Everyone imagines how they would perform in a brawl, but learning martial arts means bridging theory and reality by testing it in a physical space.
Who can learn MMA?
Everyone. There is never a bad time to start physical training. MMA is one of the most diverse sports in the world. From American wrestling to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to Thai boxing to Greco-Roman wrestling. Fighting is steeped in cultural history. It isn’t just for men anymore either. One of the most dominant modern athletes in sports today is Ronda Rousey, the first and only champion of the UFC women’s 145 lb. division.
Where Can I learn Mixed Martial Arts in Brampton?
Brampton is a great place to learn MMA. Many schools have excellent facilities and highly qualified instructors. Here are just a few.
Doggpound MMA trains some of the most successful young fighters in Brampton; they are a highly decorated club, with members of the gym regularly winning tournaments. They also have excellent resources, including a full sized octagon cage, like the ones used by pro MMA fighters. Donnie Mignion, the head instructor, is a Tae Kwon Do Master, but the club also offers classes in Kickboxing, Jiu Jitsu, and something not commonly found in MMA gyms, a Ninjutsu class.
Cost: $100 month to month
(Contracts available, Please contact the school for more detailed pricing info)
Trial: One week trial. Limited classes. Speak with secretary.
Address: 190 Bovaird Drive West #19, Brampton
Phone: (905) 457-7222
Legends MMA offers classes in Thai boxing, wrestling, and jiu-jitsu. If you’re interested in using your MMA club as a regular fitness gym, Legends MMA is for you. Their gym is packed with workout and martial arts resources, including grappling dummies, conditioning bags, hurtles, squat racks, a boxing ring, you get the picture. They also offer a women’s only kickboxing boot camp class.
Cost: $200 for 2 months, or one year contract.
(Please contact the school for more detailed pricing info)
Trial: Any two classes free, book online.
Address: 253 Summerlea Rd. Unit 5
Phone: (647) 999-0022
Ultimate Martial Arts
Ultimate Martial Arts has been around since 1994 and is the best value MMA club in Brampton. Classes are half the standard price for MMA training. UMA is primarily a Muay Thai school, but offer classes that cover all aspects of MMA training. They also offer personal training, a variety of youth and women’s only programs. Memberships are available in monthly, six-month, or full year contracts.
Cost: $49 Monthly
(Contracts available, call for information)
Trial: First class free, book online.
Address: Williams Parkway East, Unit #2
Phone: 416-616-5575 2021